The Edinburgh Playhouse started life in August 1929. It was originally designed as a variety theatre, but opened as a cinema.
It was owned by the Maguire family and designed by Glasgow architect John Fairweather.
The cinema closed down on the 24 November 1973, with ‘Live and Let Die’ being the last film to be screened. The cinema was refurbished and opened as a fully functional theatre on 1 June 1980 with a charity gala in aid of the Variety Club of Great Britain.
Over the years the theatre has played host to the world's biggest and most successful musicals, including Phantom of the Opera, Chicago, Grease, Cats, Les Miserables, Miss Saigon, Mamma Mia, Starlight Express, Mary Poppins and We Will Rock You. Many legendary bands and artists have also graced our stage including Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Tom Waits, BB King, Runrig, The Who, Metallica, Ozzy Osbourne, U2 and Johnny Cash.
Like every theatre the Playhouse has its resident ghost. He first appeared in the 1950s when a security guard had called the police to investigate noises coming from level 6 in the north tower. The guard was shocked to hear that on investigation the policeman had found no evidence of a break in, but had met Albert the maintenance manager who had assured him that everything was fine. Albert was indeed the maintenance manager, but he had died many years earlier!
|Copyright Ian Grundy|
18 - 22 Greenside Place
DirectionsThe Edinburgh Playhouse is situated on Greenside Place, at the top of Leith Walk and close to the east end of Princes Street.
Contact InformationBook online: Use the links below
Telephone Booking: 0844 871 3014
Customer Service: 0844 871 7627
Groups Bookings: 0131 524 3301
Access Bookings: 0844 871 7677
Stage Door / Admin:* 0131 524 3324
*please note it is not possible to assist
with bookings on this number
For showtimes and to book tickets visit atgtickets.com
Copyright ATG Tickets